HERITAGE SITES
  



Toronto - St. Casimir’s Church

Browse Heritage Sites:
 
Alter in St. Casimir’s Church in Toronto
Alter in St. Casimir’s Church in Toronto
Bust of John Paul II in St. Casimir’s Church in Toronto
Parish Hall in St. Casimir’s Church in Toronto
Interior of St. Casimir’s Church in Toronto
Exterior of St. Casimir’s Church in Toronto
Exterior of St. Casimir’s Church in Toronto

ST. CASIMIR’S CHURCH

Already in 1944, the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate began to see the need to build a new, third Polish parish to serve Toronto’s growing Polish immigrant community. At the time, the Oblates were working at St. Stanislaus Kostka Parish on Denison Avenue. In 1948, Fr. Stanislaw Puchniak OMI blessed the ground on which the new parish would be built. Fr. Michael Smith OMI was given the responsibility of organizing the new parish community. In 1949, the three-story parish hall was constructed and served as the place where Masses were celebrated, where people gathered, and where children were taught. The decision to build the new church was made on January 21, 1951. Three years later, the new church was a reality and was blessed on May 23, 1954. It was an historic moment for all those gathered inside the walls of the new sanctuary. The first Mass was celebrated by Fr. Michael Smith OMI, with Fr. S. Wachowicz OMI, Provincial Leader at the time, delivering the homily. That same afternoon, in the presence of the thousands who had gathered, his Eminence Cardinal James McGuigan conducted the blessing of the new church. Sixty-six children received First Holy Communion on that same day. In the ensuing years, stained-glass windows, confessionals, an organ, and Stations of the Cross were added to the church.

Throughout its history, St. Casimir’s Church has been faithful to God, while at the same time preserving the many religious traditions of the Polish people. Many Polish Bishops and Cardinals have visited the church. The Primate of Poland, Cardinal Jozef Glemp, has visited four times, while Cardinal Henryk Gulbinowicz has visited twice. During World Youth Days in Toronto in 2002, St. Casimir’s Church served as the Polish office for World Youth Day. St. Casimir’s Church blossomed in the 1980s and 1990s, and remains to this day a prestigious parish in the City of Toronto.

Edited by: Rev. Janusz Blazejak, OMI

Location: 156 Roncesvalles Avenue, Toronto, Ontario

More information:

  • A Half Century of Assumption Province in Canada (1956-2006), Editor: Janusz Blazejak, OMI, Nova Printing 2006.
  • Church Website